Episode 0067 How to make the game time FUN, Ministry DOG, Mentorship with Matt Lewis, Career Advice with Isaac Morehouse and 7 hacks from Anthony Vargas youth ministry junior high middle school
Junior High Webcast coming up with Kurt and Justin on July 2, 11 am CST on building a magnetic middle school ministry. How you can be attractive and missional that kids are drawn too with a missional aspect.
Christ in Youth, our exclusive podcast partner!!!!
For more information about
- Christ in Youth our Podcast Partner
- Email Sign-ups
- Places to find the podcast
- Our Youtube Page
- Controlled Chaos Blog
- Social Media Links
Go to controlledchaos.fun/linktree for all our links!
Links from this episode:
Whose on this episode?
Justin Herman LINKTREE
Youth Ministry Dog
Junior High Webcast coming up with Justin and Kurt on July 2 11 am CST on magnetic middle school ministry. How you can be attractive and missional that kids are drawn too with a missional aspect.
How to make the game time the best it can be—Justin and Kurt (04:37)
- Design it around the person with the least amount of skill in the room.
- Don’t do it by gender.
- Don’t try and force the game into your theme.
- Don’t force the kids to participate if they don’t want to play.
- Fun isn’t always games—it can be a skit or a bit on stage.
- Payoff must be equal or greater than the setup.
- Be clear and fair. Jr. Higher’s are justice oriented.
- Once in a while figure out how to involve specials needs students
- Do fun games but don’t make it the focus.
- Don’t apologize for doing games. They build trust and learn teamwork.
Youth Ministry Dog (22:30)
Interview Tips (30:43 ) Matt Lewis
- If you do what you say and show up and honor the commitment, you will be fine
- Don’t have a scarcity mentality. Fifteen minutes can turn into hours of content when the publicist tells others you honored the agreement.
Isaac Morehouse (35:03) CEO of Crash and Founder of Praxis
- Find something besides a degree to add to your resume to show your skill, and you have done something.
- Intern for free to learn the skills
- Do not be afraid to fail or experiment to find the solution
- Dominate your niche
- Two main things matter in the market place
- Create Value
- Prove you can create value
- Don’t do things you hate
- Don’t do things you are terrible at
- Your resume needs to be more than bullet points
- Narrow down the companies you are applying to and do something extraordinary
- Find a need and show it to them (make them a Facebook page and give it to them, send them a logo if it is low resolution, offer to work for free)
- Create a project that shows your skills in a tangible way
Anthony Vargas (1:02:03) 7 Jr. High Tips
- Know the name of Jr. High Students, leaders, and parents.
- Every Monday, pick five students and send them a letter.
- Try to interact with Jr. high students five senses when teaching the Bible
- Embrace their digital world
- Go out and evangelize with your students. They need to see it lived out.
- The feedback of students is vital.
- The only thing they need from you is a heart that has been with Jesus.
- How are we strategically using our game time? What should we start doing, stop doing, and keep doing?
- Have you/we reached out to someone outside the church for a meeting? If so did you/we honor them or leave a bad taste about you or our organization? How can you/we improve?
- What is your unique intersection of skills and abilities?
- Do we know all of our volunteer’s names? Do they know their kid’s names?
- What have we learned from our students? When was the last time we asked them (if ever)?
Meet the HOST!
Go to controlledchaos.fun/Justin for all his links!
Question or Show ideas? Email Justin!
Controlled Chaos Podcast: A junior high ministry podcast for youth workers!
Thank you for tuning in. The work youth workers do hard work, thank you! Thank you for taking the time to get a little more equipped to do Junior High or Middle School Ministry in your Youth Ministry or Student Ministry at your church. Keep it up!